Software Recognition Service
Automatically recognize the applications across your network
Snow’s Software Recognition Service takes the legwork and guesswork out of recognizing and understanding what software applications have been installed across the multi-site, multi-platform network. The Software Recognition Service provides Snow License Manager customers with daily updates, supporting automatic recognition, normalization and categorization of more than 446,000 applications from around 72,000 software publishers.
The Software Recognition Service supports applications and vendors on all major enterprise IT platforms:
- Windows Phone
Software Recognition Made Easy
The Software Recognition Service starts the moment audit data is imported from the inventory solution into Snow License Manager. The same process is applied regardless of which supported inventory solution is used and comprises:
- All program files are matched against Snow’s software recognition engine, which covers around 72,000 software publishers and over 446,000 applications out-of-the-box.
- The software recognition engine is updated dynamically on a daily basis
- Automatic hits are immediately shown in the asset repository of Snow License Manager – showing the accurate vendor name, product name, version and edition
- Applications installed as part of a suite or commercial bundle are automatically grouped to aid license management
- Automatic suggestions for the most common metric by which an application is licensed, such as ‘per user’, ‘per device’ or ‘per core’.
- Applications are grouped into families to automatically identify upgrade and downgrade rights
- Application release date information provides insight into what version that customers are entitled to use under maintenance agreements
- Information about unrecognized files are automatically uploaded to the Snow Software Recognition Service team for processing
- Processed files are added to the global recognition database and will appear in Snow License Manager(for ALL customers).
- A built-in SKU repository of over 733,000 SKUs (February 2017) with advanced license intelligence simplifies data on import and registration of new and existing licenses removing time-consuming manual effort.
- The SKU repository is updated dynamically on a daily basis
Creating a SAM community
Snow’s Software Recognition Service demonstrates the commitment to building a true SAM community where all members share the benefits of better software recognition and enhanced licensing intelligence. With more customer organizations and SAM service providers using the Snow platform than any other SAM solution, the Snow community enjoys more accurate software recognition more quickly.
The Software Recognition Service is available as an annual subscription.